Thursday, July 29, 2010

those catchy little phrases

Titus 2:11-14 "For the grace of God that brings salvation has appreared to all men. It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope - the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickendness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good."

People I have discovered a dirty little secret. the phrase. . . "It's just a guilty pleasure of mine". ZAP! POW! What does that mean?! alright, so maybe comic book effects aren't quite called for. However, someone I really like on a certain social site was posting that they were lamenting the loss of their current season of "women who stay at home in a city near new york" (just in case she reads this) or some other such NONSENSE show. They were asking "what can fill my time over the summer till more NONSENSE comes on in the fall??".  My answer? say NO to TV and find your fun elsewhere. First off, I am going to admit I have used that exact phrase about my InStyle magazing subscription and I do watch So You think You can Dance so please understand I am not immune and most likely need a treatment of my own medicine. In reading that post, I just realized that something about the guilty little pleasure thing lit a little fire under me. As believers we are called to be careful of the content that goes into our minds and as the scripture above states the grace of God (not to mention the Holy Spirit) teaches us to say "No". So how come I am spending my spare time (yeah right who has that?) "escaping" into these reality shows that often espouse the very worst of human nature and intent? Greed, anger, slander, brawling, obscenities, this is all from a list in Ephesians 5 that we are to avoid. Sounds pretty much like the central theme of these shows doesn't it? So what calls us to park ourselves in front of something we are clearly called to avoid? well that's easy, they get pretty clothes, they have gorgeous homes and cars, attend partys and galas, and live the high life. They get to act exactly how they want and heck with the repurcussions. Isn't that fun? Isn't it sparkly? Isn't it. . .ridiculous? Need I remind us the only thing that matters when I stand face to face with my maker are the actions I TOOK, the decisions I MAKE. Did I spend time pining for the things I couldn't have or living vicariously through a tv dream version of life or did I "spend my time on things above" so to speak. This is not a judgement, simply a call to look at the "guilty little pleasures" in our lives. Are they really just little? what do they lead to? how do they influence me? are they worth it? We toss the phrase not even considering what the words in it are. Why is it guilty? becuase we should not be doing it. What sort of pleasure? usually material or carnal. Come on people, let's re-examine the ease with which we accept the things of this world. Put some good music on, read a book that doesn't have to do with earlthy desires, PRAY, read the bible, find a way to serve, there are limitless options. Now these may not allow the mental "escape" we seek but certainly there are shows/movies/music/etc that can fit into that category without scratching all of our sin nature itches. Just be MINDFUL. that is my goal. Watch your attitude, is it affected by your time with the tube? In all things as our pastor says "be careful. . .",   so be careful everyone. . . .

2 comments:

Daniel and Natalie said...

understand how much this means to you. so right. lessened the impact somewhat when I saw the word screwed. so distracting. just my dirty mine perhaps. Otherwise me likey muchy (and I am headed to Nancy's tonight to watch the premier of project runway)I shall attempt to be careful while I watch! (that is in all seriousness)

jeremy and lenore diviney said...

yeah, I know. I thought about not putting it in myself, I figured the average person reading is going to have the everyday usage in their mind. That's too bad isn't it? I think I'll change it. =)