Thursday, July 15, 2010

Terrible Beauty

I have previously posted this poem but now it has morhped into a song so I am re-posting it with the video. Not great quality so try to read along, only a few words have been changed. . .thanks! There are about four people I specifically had in mind when writing this. Not to mention the suffering of haiti, the grief of sudden loss, etc.



Terrible Beauty

who can say why the unspeakable happens?
how the innocent are hurt.
the physical wounds that torture the soul;
how do you recover?

is there purpose in the pain?
how do You explain that the
terrible can be beautiful?

the buildings fall and people scream,
creation groans in agony
some are found but most are lost,
how do we believe?

that there is purpose in the pain?
can You really make
the terrible, beautiful. . .

medicine that cannot heal
accidents that make us reel with broken dreams and bodies
desperate hearts that make wrong choices
sicknesses that stop our voices
and rob us of our memories

and I just want You to take it all away
but without this terrible pain,
we wouldn't have stood to gain

the way You take a heart that's torn
and in Your mercy You transform;
You take the terrible, and give them beauty

from loved ones lost, a testimony
for hurt ones healed, a hope of glory
to those who fall, a chance to rise again

there is purpose in the pain
I see it over and over again
and I know I wouldn't be who I am
if it weren't for such terrible beauty

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it as a song, too. The piano and your voice make me think of Tori Amos - 's pretty!

Daniel and Natalie said...

FinallY! got my internet working fast enough to buffer this. Yeesh! It was great! Ev was litsening with her ear right to the speaker and sophie was spinning cirles in the ving roo