Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Goodbye Aquarium

Today was the last day of our Aquarium membership. I didn't realize how much I enjoyed taking the kids until I realized we wouldn't be going for a while. We took our time at the flannel fish wall and amazingly enough we saw just about everything get fed which NEVER happens. The octopus was active and trinity got to reach out and put her hand right on the glass where it was. That octopus is not usually so much fun but today she was putting on a show. There was a diver in both fish "walls" hand feeding the fishies. It was so much fun for trinity and blake to see the fish pulling the little bits of food apart; even taking some right out of the divers' hands! We also saw the mommy/daughter otters sharing food with each other. It was very cute. To mark the occasion of the end of what has been a great year of fishy watching I bought each of the kids a book and signed it with the date of our membership. Oh, and we each got one of the Aquarium's famous lemon/ginger fish cookies. Trin picked the octupus, blake picked the seahorse, and I got a yellow finned something or other. Doesn't really matter as I ate the whole thing in about five minutes! As we left the Aquarium and walked the beautiful Seattle waterfront in the full summer sunshine I was extremely grateful for my children, and the beautiful area we live in; but mostly for the fact that I can enjoy it whenever I want. I know in previous posts I have vented about the boringness of being at home or my frustration with never being part of the "providing" for the family, or other such business stuff but in reality I wouldn't trade my time with the kids. The fact that I get to take them on these daytrips and see their smiles as they touch the starfish or hear them laughing at the seal's antics is precious in so many ways. I get it. Some moms have to work and even find fulfillment in their work and if I did work , that is exactly what I would hope for. Still, in this moment I am utterly unmotivated by money or success and purely happy with the chance to share this life (who knows how long we have) with the only people that really matter. My family. I am not bound by the expectation of a boss or stressed by the productivity or lack thereof of a company or even that of a team. It's just me and the kiddos learning and exploring and investing time in each other and you know what? I totally think it's going to pay off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful last day at the aquarium. Hope you get to go back again soon. . . and you're right - seeing those happy smiles really makes life worth living, neh?