Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Thermos Love!

a few weeks ago I was scrathing my head about what to put in trinity's lunch. She doesn't like peanut butter sandwiches so I am left with turkey (the only lunch meat she likes) and tunafish. I also send turkey picnic style with crackers and cheese. Trinity pipes up that she wants soup. "I can't send you with hot things honey", I reply. "Yes you can!" she says. "Brooke had soup and it was in a hello kitty bottle". Say what? "Oh, you mean she had a thermos?" "Yes, that's it", she says. Okay, so off we go to Fred Meyer where the only thermoses we can find are $24. No bueno, not for a 7 year olds lunchbox. On to Target where I find the same $24ish thermoses. Funnily enough there is a gentleman looking at the same thing. Apparently his 7 year old just informed him of her monstrous lack of lunch options as well so he was on the same mission. They are all too tall, or the mouth is too skinny, etc. and so forth. Finally I pick a somewhat squat but rather large thermos for $18. I am just about to head out with trin when I spy it, THE HELLO KITTY THERMOS. "Look, did brooke have this one?" I ask. "Yes! that's it!" happy girl = happy mom (cause this one is only $16 and just the right size) We move on to the next aisle while I ponder running after the gentleman who sadly walked away before me with the same boring black one I had been eyeing. His daughter could have had HELLO KITTY. Bummer. What has happened since our mission was accomplished you ask?  Lunch has magically expanded so far to include two days top ramen and yesterdays amazing lunch of rice and teriyaki meatballs. I actual feel quite good knowing she has hot food some days during the miserableness that is our fall weather. So, next bring me any ideas you have for filling up her new friend. I would love some creativity  cause obviously top romen has like no nutritional value. warning: she doesn't like spaghetti.
*note the most awesome flame symbol - keeps things hot for 5 hours and the chilly snowflake (7) =)

1 comment:

Natalie Minnich said...

put an egg in the ramen for the last minute you cook it. thickens it up really good and adds some protein.maybe you could put some leftover taco stuff and send her with flour tortillas to make a burrito? or maybe some kind of canned tortellini? leftovers of any kind could go in there probably. does she like bean with bacon? that could be another good soup option. or ham and bean soup that you made for dinner before?