Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My Take

As I was debating on which bible study I would begin for spring session at church (the book of James: study written by Shelly Smith or a Beth Moore study on David) I thought perhaps I ought to pull out the only beth moore study I have done and go back over the workbook to refresh my memory on the style of her homework. The study I did two summers ago was called Stepping Up: a journey through the psalms of ascent. One of her assignments was rewriting psalms with our own take on them. As much as we were to keep to the point/feeling/subject of the psalm we were still encouraged to add personal experience/emotion to them. I remember this being one of my favorite activites but what I didn't realize would be how relevant they are to my current situation with my church body. When I read Psalm 122 I knew I had to post it here. It's my heart for evergreen christian fellowship, my brothers and sisters in Christ.


Psalm 122
A song of ascents. Of David.
1 I rejoiced with those who said to me,
“Let us go to the house of the LORD.”
2 Our feet are standing
in your gates, Jerusalem.
3 Jerusalem is built like a city
that is closely compacted together.
4 That is where the tribes go up—
the tribes of the LORD—
to praise the name of the LORD
according to the statute given to Israel.
5 There stand the thrones for judgment,
the thrones of the house of David.
6 Pray for the peace of Jerusalem:
“May those who love you be secure.
7 May there be peace within your walls
and security within your citadels.”
8 For the sake of my family and friends,
I will say, “Peace be within you.”
9 For the sake of the house of the LORD our God,
I will seek your prosperity.

I won't share my take on it but instead I simply change jerusalem to my church name. May we have leadership like David and members like the migthy men! Surely the Lord will not leave us in our current state  but is pressing us, molding us, and motivating us to be more refined in our faith/fellowship/function. It is not easy and it is not fun but there is no lack of prayer on our behalf and hope is mine in Him. I encourage you to find a psalm that addresses something in your life and make it your own. It's truly a blessing!


No comments: