Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Full Freedom

"Daily discipline is the door to full freedom" - Ann Voskamp

For my spiritual life this is so true. Nothing brings me closer to the Lord than a moment in prayer or reading or studying of His Word. It is in time with my savior that I not only "feel" free but begin to understand bit by bit the fact that my spirit IS FREE - and seated in the heavenly realms with Jesus. I haven't felt very free the past two weeks as my children and I have fought sickness after sickness. With our bodies dragging us down the usual daily discipline becomes the how many hours since their last dose of Ibuprofen schedule. As a mother you get upset seeing your children go day after day with little improvement. Whenever my children are sick it makes me thank the Lord over and over that they are not suffering from a terminal or lingering illness. My heart goes out to all the mommies that have dealt with or are dealing with such situations. Trinity still complains of her stomach enough that I told her if it isn't better after a week we will have to take her in for a look at. She has never displayed any food sensitivity before but if it isn't a flu bug causing it I just don't know what else it might be. She stresses a lot so maybe an ulcer? (that's supposed to be a joke but doesn't look so funny to me now). God was merciful to me in that Isaac got better when I got worse so sick mommy was blessed with a happy baby that wasn't too clingy. For the most part Trinity and Blake keep each other company well when they are under the weather, this too is a blessing and mercy. I was by Gods' grace able to look into my bible study this week and He always has such a timely word to encourage me. Today was in Ecclesiastes. I was so impressed by chapter 3:14-15. It was like God reaching out saying "throughout my Word, there is evidence that I have sought YOU". In my ESV it reads like this:

"I perceived that whatever God does endures forever; nothing can be added to it, nor anything taken from it. God has done it, so that people fear before him. That which is, already has been; that which is to be, already has been; and God seeks what has been driven away."
Isn't that dreamy? the lines in themselves are so poetic. . .God in his omniscience and omnipresence seeing all that has been, is, and will be - seeks what has been driven away. . .could that be mankind? could that be me? Amazing Grace how sweet the sound. This got me so excited I had to look it up in other versions which immediately burst my bubble. Do you ever go to study eager to share what feels like a great insight until someone gives you a deeper look than your surface reading and you go, oh yeah, missed that one? lol. You can see from the versions below that there is a wide range of interpretations that got me straight up confused on what the last line (MY line) in particular meant. I found the commentary at the end helpful to getting to the essential point of the passage which is basically a reiteration that God alone knows all and mankind never has, can, or will.  If you notice the message simply says "that's how it always is with God".
I'm not ready to be done with the idea that this scripture could be seen illustrating the time frame of God's redemption. After all that is the hope to which we are called and I daresay Jesus would say my take on it counts too. Oh wow, I so did NOT just put words in the mouth of Christ. . .
Thank you Lord, for the time to look deeper into your word. Thank you that you always multiply my time when I am really focused on you and are teaching me to open the door of daily discipline to full freedom. (if you haven't read 1,000 Gifts by Ann Voskamp you should, it will explain this phenomena much better than I can) Thank you that I live in America where doctors and medicine are available. Just,  thank you!

p.s. can anyone enlighten me on how often you have to or even should capitalize "You" when you are talking to God???

*****UPDATE 4/7 - the teacher added that when it says God "seeks the things of the past" it might be best put into the context of Solomon's subject of righteous and wicked living and injustice as the wicked "seem" to prosper. God will judge the living and the dead and no injustice goes unnoticed by Him.



Compare Translations for Ecclesiastes 3:15

Ecclesiastes 3:15 NIV
Whatever is has already been, and what will be has been before; and God will call the past to account.
Read Ecclesiastes 3 NIV  |  Read Ecclesiastes 3:15 NIV in parallel  
Ecclesiastes 3:15 ASV
That which is hath been long ago; and that which is to be hath long ago been: and God seeketh again that which is passed away.
Read Ecclesiastes 3 ASV  |  Read Ecclesiastes 3:15 ASV in parallel  
Ecclesiastes 3:15 BBE
Whatever is has been before, and what is to be is now; because God makes search for the things which are past.
Read Ecclesiastes 3 BBE  |  Read Ecclesiastes 3:15 BBE in parallel  
Ecclesiastes 3:15 CEB
Whatever happens has already happened, and whatever will happen has already happened before. And God looks after what is driven away.
Read Ecclesiastes 3 CEB  |  Read Ecclesiastes 3:15 CEB in parallel  
Ecclesiastes 3:15 KJV
That which hath been is now; and that which is to be hath already been; and God requireth that which is past .
Read Ecclesiastes 3 KJV  |  Read Ecclesiastes 3:15 KJV in parallel  |  Interlinear view
Ecclesiastes 3:15 NKJV
That which is has already been, And what is to be has already been; And God requires an account of what is past.
Read Ecclesiastes 3 NKJV  |  Read Ecclesiastes 3:15 NKJV in parallel  
Ecclesiastes 3:15 NLT
Whatever exists today and whatever will exist in the future has already existed in the past. For God calls each event back in its turn.
Read Ecclesiastes 3 NLT  |  Read Ecclesiastes 3:15 NLT in parallel  
Ecclesiastes 3:15 MSG
Whatever was, is. Whatever will be, is. That's how it always is with God.
Read Ecclesiastes 3 MSG  |  Read Ecclesiastes 3:15 MSG in parallel  

Ecclesiastes 3 Commentary - Matthew Henry Commentary on the Whole Bible (Concise)


Chapter 3

The changes of human affairs. (1-10) The Divine counsels unchangeable. (11-15) The vanity of worldly power.(16-22)
Verses 1-10 To expect unchanging happiness in a changing world, must end in disappointment. To bring ourselves to our state in life, is our duty and wisdom in this world. God's whole plan for the government of the world will be found altogether wise, just, and good. Then let us seize the favourable opportunity for every good purpose and work. The time to die is fast approaching. Thus labour and sorrow fill the world. This is given us, that we may always have something to do; none were sent into the world to be idle.
Verses 11-15 Every thing is as God made it; not as it appears to us. We have the world so much in our hearts, are so taken up with thoughts and cares of worldly things, that we have neither time nor spirit to see God's hand in them. The world has not only gained possession of the heart, but has formed thoughts against the beauty of God's works. We mistake if we think we were born for ourselves; no, it is our business to do good in this life, which is short and uncertain; we have but little time to be doing good, therefore we should redeem time. Satisfaction with Divine Providence, is having faith that all things work together for good to them that love him. God doeth all, that men should fear before him. The world, as it has been, is, and will be. There has no change befallen us, nor has any temptation by it taken us, but such as is common to men.

p.p.s a BIG THANK YOU TO BIBLE STUDY TOOLS. COM for the reference material and versions used in this post.

No comments: