Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Luxury??

So I'm sure that not many of you remember my uneasy truce with public enemy #1 (my post baby body). Well I have decided that the truce is over. Isaac turned 11 mo. yesterday and I actually WANTED to begin exercising again, and when your body tells you to do it, it's GO TIME. I have worked out the past two days and am planning to start eating healthier and chopping my "I'm nursing so extra calories don't matter" ice cream because Isaac will be weaned at a year. I want to ask a question. How do you feel about exercising? Do you love it? Can't live without it? Is it a chore that you detest but you do because you "know you should?" Here is the weird thing with me. I feel guilty when I exercise. I feel almost like it's a luxury. Crazy right? In my mind though, there is always 10 other things I could be doing. If I wait for the baby to be sleeping, than I SHOULD be having quiet time with Blake right? Bible study, laundry, crafts with children, meal planning, bills; there is a multitude of  things that are always on my to-do list and I'm sorry but it seems almost selfish to take that hour to exercise. Now I know this is a little bit illogical. You have to be healthy for your kids, for quality of life, as a steward of what God has given you, so many reasons! I just can't help but feel that it's a selfish choice. I've never wanted to be one of those stay at home moms that can't wait to get their kids off to school and hit a gym. Somehow it SEEMS to be all about doing your errands in your fancy brand workout gear (and yes this is a bit of a dig at ridiculously expensive exercise brands *cough, lululemon*). What is the purpose of keeping your body in shape? to show off? to be a status symbol? I don't know and I'm sure I'm making judgements completely without foundation about many of the women I see dressed in this manner but sometimes something just rubs a person the wrong way and that is my reaction in this situation. James warns us in chapter two about the dangers of being impressed by money and perhaps it's because I know my own propensity to seek worldly affirmation through material possessions that I react this way. However, James also immediately says that we should be careful not to judge or discriminate based on money. He said it to protect the poor but sometimes my attitude is worse about the wealthy and I have to watch myself because God blesses whomever He chooses. Before I get too off topic I want to bring it back to my main point which is this; am I redeeming the time as a stay at home mom if I spend it working out? I am trying to tell myself the answer is yes but my heart tells me no. Exercise still seems indulgent.  There is nothing growing me spiritually while I do planks. I am not instilling truths or speaking words of affirmation over/to my children during some well spent quality time. I am hooking blake up to yet another hour of tv time. I am not having any impact on my community or my church body. I don't want to be the stay at home mom that can't think of anything better to do. I feel like I have failed somewhere if exercise is a priority. I think this is just an issue I am going to have to work through. We only get this one body. It's super important to keep it healthy. It's also super important to set a healthy example for my children so. . .the battle with post baby body begins again.
Goals:
1. be happy with what I've got.
2. be strong for the task at hand (motherhood/wife).
3. don't ever bad mouth my body in front of kids/spouse.
4. use time super-wisely so both exercise and quality time might happen.
5. have energy.
6. have abs.

3 comments:

Rose said...

I feel guilty when I exercise too, but for a totally different reason: I never do it well enough. I never spend enough time or go hard enough on the elliptical/treadmill, I never achieve enough consistency with pushups, etc. So I just give up, or don't do it often enough for it to matter.

lenorediviney said...

that can be an issue for me too, I'm queen of the 27 min. burnout. =)

Anonymous said...

a healthy body enables one to do what God has set before you and exercise gives you a clearer mind.All good things our heavenly Father wants for us.