Friday, January 20, 2012

of all the things

I have been considering many things to blog about but as I was relating to my sister over the phone, i can't even keep my thought together long enough to pick a topic. I want to talk about parenting and how I was encouraged at Christmas when my mother said she notice a  difference (for good) in my children's behavior but now I can't because I had to lock Blake in his room twice for biting me yesterday. Some parent. Some kid. I wanted to write about how excited I was that my sister agreed to read the bible in one year with me so I could call someone with all my "what the?" questions but we began last week and I haven't peppered her with questions yet. I thought I would write on how I am trying to put more time in with my kids in one on one activites, especially drawing with Trinity as it is her favorite thing ever and I "never play with her". Well guess what? can't really blog when I am doing that. ha! So in the end I will blog about this. I survived 24 hours with three kids and no power! Yes that's right. Laugh if you must but have YOU tried it? Snowmageddon officially hit on tuesday. Trinity's Martin Luther King day off turned into an ENTIRE week off school. The first day was fun, super wet and cold but we went sledding and made a snowman and jer made it in and out of work fine. Second day was not as nice. Tried sledding but the wind blew her sled like a kite so that lasted only about 15 minutes. Third day no power. Oh boy. I firmly believe God multipied my children's DS battery like He did the oil in the lamps because that sucker lasted until 5 p.m. We played candyland, chutes and ladders, blocks, hide-and-seek, go fish, coloring, watch the plow (that was my favorite, the city sent a giant CAT to plow our culdesac. Lovely!, too bad it didn't have a power truck behind it fixing whatever is up). Anyway, I called Jeremy at 4:45 hoping he was on his way home. Nope. He had just gotten off the phone with a client he had been busy with the whole day. Well I am a little stressed at this point. The house is cold and baby has slept okay, but he is sick and I have bags packed in case hubby helpfully suggests we go to a hotel. no such luck. He discovers that from eastgate to north bend the power is out and he can't get to us from snoqualmie prkway and has to go through North Bend to 202 just to get home! I was already prepared in my mind  to go it alone that night. My phone had died and I had no way to charge it. I wasn't sure who would be more stressed. Me to be by myself or Jeremy to not be able to reach me if the roads were that bad. Trust me, he was the only one on our street "traipsing" in at 8:00. Sheesh. He made it though and we bundled the kids in their beds and Jer slept ours while I was downstairs on the couch with the little guy in his pack in play in front of the fire that I ran off and on all night. How did I do that you ask? It was easy when Isaac woke up every hour. I either nursed him or rocked him back to sleep. His poor little voice is so scratchy from being sick that I just couldn't make him cry back to sleep. I guess we will have to reset all of that crying out stuff after this next couple of days. The prognosis is still not good for power being on today so we are at Jeremy's office hanging out. We will stay at a hotel tonight and hopefully power will be restored sometime tomorrow. Sanity was maintained and returning to the dark ages wasn't so bad. I mean I finally got to teach Trinity "there was a farmer who had a dog and Bingo was his name-o B-I-N-G-O, etc"  that's a once in a power outage opportunity after all. Oh and guess what? City water still works and toilets still flush. VAST improvement from MY childhood. =)

2 comments:

Shelley said...

Thanks so much for sharing!! You're like supermom!

oona said...

Wow, mean while Big Bear is bright and sunny. We've been watching you guys on the news. Yikes. We have hotels out here too. ;)