Friday, February 3, 2012

a change is gonna come

I am getting to know a new bible. English Standard Version. It is smaller print than I am used to so the books take less pages and I find myself skipping past things. It reads easy though and I am enjoying reading verses in a new way. I have been especially convicted lately in how I spend my time (okay this is about a once a week thing). I found myself pining over some tv shows the other day when I couldn't record more than two things at once on my DVR. Silly right? I know lots of people who are catching up on series' on Netflix so I was even considering how much I needed to "catch up" on past shows that aren't even on anymore! I felt overwhelmed and actually laughed out loud when I realized I was feeling more stressed about the fact that I didn't have enough time to fit the tv in than I was glad to be spending that time with my family! I am not embarrassed by my love of tv but I do have to keep my priorities straight. I record my shows so that I don't have to watch commercials and am getting good at skipping parts that are not interesting to me so it has really cut down my actual watching time. I am EAGER to pick up the Word but there are still times in the day when I am chasing a baby around the house or just letting him play but not able to focus %100 on something that is basically studying. That's when I pop on a show and "catch up". I have been deep into a study of James the past three weeks, and with that and reading my daily bible and "God without Religion" by Andrew Farley, I am devoting most of my spare time to those things.  As we were studying the end of James chapter 1 this week (be a doer of the Word not a hearer only. . .) Beth Moore made some points that hit home to my heart. "The doing causes the changing" - in other words we need to be careful because the tricky part is that the hearing only can be satisfying. That is VERY me. I love to attend studies and join in words of wisdom and encouragement all the while my "tomb is grubby" to paraphrase from the NT. "God's word is meant to do more than penetrate, it's meant to ACTIVATE." Thanks Beth, no kidding but how do I do that? I have been actively trying to "set my mind on things above". It's sort of  a secret how but I will let you know when my goal is accomplished. A renewed vision of my position in Christ from the book mentioned above is also helping me be more cognizant of my "attitude" and where my mind is at/what I'm focusing on. All this circles back around to the brief but comforting realization the day after my "tv freak out" that I was able to CHOOSE to let go of the desire to "keep up with the Jones' " of tv land. I just let it go. I realized that if I never saw (enter show name) it really wouldn't matter in the big picture. If we are being honest there are still a few shows I think "I wish I could get to. . ." but it isn't a focus for me; more like a passing fancy. My attitude changed because my focus changed and it caused me to act differently; all by the power of the Holy Spirit that helps me desire what God desires for me. Let yourself be changed. What is one of your little "focuses" that distracts you from your walk? From being a hearer and not a doer? Let yourself be changed. I would say it feels good but the truth is, it IS good.

No comments: