Sunday, March 20, 2011

Grandma's Mommy

hello fellow mommy bloggers! today I bring you blogger fodder that should delight and amuse you! (or something like that). so we all know that our children are amazing and unique beings on this little planet earth that we inhabit and they often come up with the most creative of things. One creative thing children do I especially admire is come up with imagionary friends. About a month ago my son blake (three and a half years old) decided he had an "older sister". When I questioned him further on this sister it was emphasized that she is NOT his actual sister trinity but an imagionary one of varying age. Fortunately, trinity did not seem to be offended by this new person in blake's life. A couple of weeks after that however he upped the ante by adding "grandma's mommy". When questioned if this person had anything to do with any of blake's real grandmothers I got an emphatic "No! she lives really far away". Okay. . .it became clear after a few days that the true reason for "grandma's mommy" was simply to be able to insert himself into any conversation by being "cute" instead of annoying. Ah yes, the clever boy. Let me give you some examples.

Mommy to Trinity - "maybe daddy will take you to Kung Fu Panda 2"
Blake - "my grandma's mommy has Kung Fu Panda 99!"
okay. . .
The Neighbor - "wow your mommy has a baby in her tummy"
Blake - "yes but gramdma's mommy has TWO babies in her tummy"
uh-huh. . .
Mommy - "yes trinity, in a few weeks we will go visit Micky-poo at Nee Nee's" (translation, we will see the kids' real gradmother and dog when we visit soon)
Blake -  "well my grandma's mommy has a dog, his name is barnacle boy, and we are going to see him in three hundred days!"
oh really?!

so far, to further illustrate, I have narrowed his possible reasons for all of the imagination station action into three main categories which clearly the above examples fit into as well.
1. to comfort himself - as in: I say no to a toy, don't worry 'cause grandma's mommy is sure to have one
2. to continue his contrary ways - as in: grandma's mommy either has the opposite of whatever we are talking about or at least two of them if not more
3. to get attention - as in: say did you hear the one about grandma's mommy?

This is one of the first things that has been totally blake with no influence from trin, and it cracks me up! I hope it did you too!

4 comments:

maygan said...

That does crack me up. Barnacle Boy might also be the cutest imaginary dog name I've ever heard!

Natalie Minnich said...

Yes, Barnacle boy as a dog about takes the cake I think. SPeaking of, I'm looking forward to loading Blakey Boy up with some of that. cake. :)

Me said...

heehee! Too cute! I wonder how many others he'll add to his collection before he figures out that it isn't really helping him get his way? There are some things I'm loving about this age, I swear, and overactive imaginations is one of them!

djschmidtsj said...

LOL You need to definitely write this one down (I mean other than on this fabulous blog). Andrew used to have an imaginary friend named "Check Checkers". No idea where he came from, but he owned a rocket car and went on various adventures in his own land. Children's book author one day? Maybe... :-) He has no shortage of imagination.