Monday, September 20, 2010

Before the Moment is Gone

Here is my latest (and 5th!) song. for those of you counting I had set a goal of five by november. yay God! I stuggled with making it a song about a human relationship or a song about the fall. I left some amibiguity in there so you can decide for yourself which you respond better to but there are some definate allusions to mankinds seperation from the relationship we had with God in the garden. I used more human emotions in this so that it is a more poetic feel than perhaps God might actually use were He speaking but of course that makes it more relateable to us. Hmm even as I write that sentence I am thinking it sounds wrong. I mean what are the psalms? and weren't they inspired by God?Also, we know our God is described with many emotional attributes (grieving, jealousy, and most importantly love) and we are created in His image so I feel okay with any license taken. It's the first song I actually prayed about quite often during the writing process. Mostly what I wanted to capture was not any uncertainty of action on God's part (we know that God knows the first from the last), but the desire He had that we might have made the correct choice and lived witihin His perfect will. We have all been in situations where we knew what action had to be taken but we lingered in the moment just before it, desiring a different outcome. something to meditate on. The words are beneath the link.

BEFORE THE MOMENT IS GONE
I know it’s already broken, what we had
I know you did what you thought best

In your acceptance did you pause did you think of me
what were you hoping for?
if thoughts laid bare to your wondering mind
could even up the score

This betrayal, has brought us to the brink
but I won’t fail, I’ll keep the vows I made

Once the choice was made, did it flood your soul
the dark that you let in?
tell me when we’re face to face
what answer will you give?

there was a time when all you wanted was the truth
there was a time when all you needed was my love. . .

When you speak,
I’ll listen to the beating of your heart
you’ll always be worth the sacrifice,
the sacrifice

In the garden won’t you walk, talk with me
I’m trying to hold on
to the moment when there’s nothing in between
what you say and what you mean
you don’t know, what you mean to me. . .

5 comments:

Hannah said...

of course I love it. It comes across as a hurt love. I really like it.

jeremy and lenore diviney said...

thanks hannah. you're the best.

Daniel and Natalie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daniel and Natalie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daniel and Natalie said...

way to go on number five! when are you going to come and visit Haven Recording and lay down some tracks?!!!!!!!!!!!!