Sunday, April 28, 2013

7th

I had to think long and hard about the next verses I want to memorize. I am already needing to go back over the first six. I wrote them all down this morning and didn't get a single one completely correct. I then copied the version I learned them from beside it. I find this contrast effective in correcting my mistakes after a break.  I had to do the same thing with the book of James, writing as much as I could and filling in the rest then comparing it in my bible and fixing errors. It is coming much more easily now as I recite it. When I saw it was my "7th" verse I thought it should probably be about Jesus and his saving grace. The verses I chose come from 2 Timothy. Timothy had a believing mother who raised him in the scriptures. I can relate to that. He also faced doubts and trials as he began stepping out in leadership. I relate to that as well. These verses have been underlined in my old NIV study bible since I was a teenager. They have always comforted me and encouraged me when I felt confused or unsure. So I share them with you:

2 Timothy 3:14-15 (NIV)
But as for you, continue is what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.

I bet not many of you are familiar with those verses but most of you will know the one that follow them.
vs. 16 - All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, training in righteousness, (note a comma not a period)

I bet also you may not have completed the though with
vs. 17 so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

In this short section of scripture God picked the perfect context for me to connect to. A believer raised in the faith facing the onslaught of the worlds "wisdom" gently being reminded that what he has learned is trustworthy. That scripture is not for judgement but for grace and truth. Applying this and especially teaching it might involve hard things but through it we are equipped for God's good work.

No comments: