Saturday, December 18, 2010

it's been a good year

I'm not sure if I will have time to "wrap" up this year properly on the blog so I will do it now while I have the time. I have felt in more of a writing mood lately and yet find that I cannot take the time to do it. So many deep things I am pondering and mulling over and also so many funny things the kids do and say that I want to record and yet somehow the days fly by without my accomplishing much documentation of any kind. Perhaps we will just go down the family line. This is the first year I have not touched my scrapbooking stuff. that was different. I still have an obsession with paper! The first half of the year is a blur in which nothing really stands out to me. I did enjoy all of our weekend vacations this year (oregon coast, bend or. area, and whistler, b.c.) Of course there were several fun trips to my moms over the summer as well. Mostly what stands out is that I have begun reading books again from the library and I am loving it. I am finding some really great new authors in both fiction and non-fiction. Some of the highlights of this reading would be (titles): Stuck, Don't Stop Believing, Havah, Demon:a memoir). I have also taken on a small group at bible study for the second year. There is so much to learn about leadership. I have had to step back from all my worship commitments and now help only on sundays with the elementary dept. The Lord has humbled me in some areas this year but I also feel a fire to live the life I'm called to that is growing more than it has been of late so that is inspiring and giveing me hope. My prayer life seems to remain my stumbling block and greatest desire at the same time. I would just like to say God is so faithful. I am just really thankful this year. Thankful that we are provided for, thankful that my children are learning about Jesus, thankful that my husband is growing in his own leadership skills and so proud of what we have accomplished in starting a company early in our marriage and so far surviving it. =) I have even been able to make a few spiritual/financial commitments that were not available to me until now and it is such a blessing to me. Thankful for two beautiful children and a third on the way. It's always so interesting to play the waiting game that is pregnancy but again I just find myself thankful even for the aches and pains, just knowing that God has given me the desire of my heart in getting to be a mother. I was so happy to work with the kids choir for light on the platuea and to speak with the people who were blessed by them. It's just been a really great november/december with highlights of our thanksgiving at mom and dad's (there was even snow) and the kids having such a great time at Snowflake Lane (they are still asking to go back). This by no means catches you up on the happenings of the year but might give you a finger on the pulse of my mindframe as we come into the week of Christmas.

Blake was old enough to be a cubbie but I was ready to take a break so he is at home while trinity does sparkys. My main concern with him is that he has no interest in working with me on learning things. He does fine in a pre-school environment but I wonder about the next year how to instill in him more of an interest in things that aren't spelled Wii. He still gives me trouble with food and I daily go back and forth between letting him starve until he eats what I make or just not caring and making him what he wants. (usually pbj.) I am super proud that everyone who has him in a "class" at church loves him and comments on what fun he is and how good he is. He still has his moments (he is three). He successfully potty trained at about 3 which was awesome. He is ALWAYS cracking us up. He has the funniest phrases and expressions. I get the impression he is a really smart kid but uses his smarts entirely for his convenience. ha! He is learning how to really bait trinity which is pretty funny but he is also protective of her which is very sweet. He often comes and sasses jeremy and I if we are disciplining her for something. "you are not the boss, leave sissy alone". of course then he runs off because he knows he might get busted too. He is also a rule follower and is always calling people out if they aren't obeying them. The other day he got into with a little friend of his who was using something that belonged to someone else and wouldn't give it back. He kept telling him that it wasn't his, give it back to so and so. I had to tell him to back off, that's what the other kids have mothers for. They will sort it out. He's all about justice this one, perhaps a future lawyer or law officer? His favorite book is Baby Honu Saves the Day and his favorite song is Twinkle Twinkle little Star or anything that he recognizes from christian radio, and his newfavorite pillow is his giant cars one. He still sucks his thumb abd carries his blanket at night. Not sure when I am going to work with him on that. Jeremy is already trying but pretty much just verbally, I think since he hates trying foods so much we should get some nasty tasting stuff. I bet that would work.

Trinity has progressed to 1rst grade. She is doing a good job but may have inherited a bit of her father's focusing issues. = ) She sang in the children's choir and did wonderfully for how young she was and how many nights they were there. She only put her skirt over her head and scratched at her tights once. (that's right, I'm glad I didn't see that - a friend told me) She has hit what I call an "emo" phase. She did this once last year as well. Pretty much the smallest thing puts her over the edge and she has become very sassy lately as well; it doesn't matter if you admonish her and tell her to stop, she just keeps going. . .sigh. She is usually my reasonable one so these phases are frustrating (especially with my preggo hormones giving me a shorter fuse than normal) but I remember that this too shall pass. And yet. . .every day she shows such love to us and to her friends and to her brother. She loves Jesus and is growing by leaps and bounds in her childlike faith. She has an intuition about showing kindness to others that makes me proud. She tries hard at school and began karate this year. So cute! She will start up again in January at a new school. it has been interesting as she gets old enough to understand that we aren't the top of the money chain in our area. We can basically only afford one extra activity at time but she doesn't complain. I am trying to instill in her the idea that it's not what you have but what you do with what you have that counts.She is actually pretty generous for a six year old. I chalk a lot of the bad behavior moments up to long school days and not enough undivided mommy attention. I hope to work on that in the next year. She is quite good at arts and crafts and has a very creative mind. I love that she loves to write! I hope I have a little reader/writer on my hands. In fact, when she is really happy or really angry she writes notes to express it. She broke an ornament a week ago and was very upset about it. She closed herself in the pantry with this note on the door "plese leave me alone, I brooke it and need a time out".  I tried not to laugh. She is just the kind of person that has a special place in everyone's heart and every day I get a kick out of the things that she says/does.

Jeremy has had a great year in bill 4 time. slow and steady wins the race right? He continues to expand the company and grow in his leadership abilities. I pray often for his protection in business areas (his reputation and the choices that he makes etc.) I wish I was more of a dreamer like he is. He has so many good ideas bouncing around in his noggin. He continues to be an incredible husband in most aspects and I am humbled by his willingness to expand the family. It's a big step to go for number three and I have heard your family is never the same but somehow with jer, I'm not worried about it. We still of course have our differences (some of you know what I mean =) but it makes life interesting right? and as much as I play "annoyed" at his constant, let's just say "advances", there is probably not a wife around that feels as wanted/loved as me and deep down I know that that is special and precious. He continues to excell at world of warcraft, indoctrinate my children in current popular music (yeah we don't agree on radio stations in the car), and eschew all my attempt to get him to enjoy reading. We have however, watched much John Stewart and Stephen Colbert together. It's quite the family dinner time discussion. hee hee. We are so not a normal family (like there is such a thing). I guess that about makes an update eh?

God is good all the time!

2 comments:

Me said...

Wow, what an update! It sounds like an overall good year for your little family. Can't wait to see what the next year brings!

Natalie Minnich said...

That was fun. Thanks for all the info even though I knew most of it. :) I was wondering if the "getting humbled" part came in somewhere around november 14th? If so, I know the feeling! CAN NOT wait to see you guys again. Missing you so much lately.