Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Real Church Community

If each one of us took responsibility for the well-being of a handful of folks at whatever church body we attend I think we could solve most of the church's ills. Really. What if you notice the elderly folks of the body and made an effort to stop and begin to get to know just ONE of them post-service?Maybe they need help with errands or would love a cup of coffee and a visit. What if you invite a family to share a meal, BREAK BREAD, find out needs, interests? Maybe you would make "do this thing called life together" sort of FRIENDS. If you take a RISK, give up some TIME, offer what you have to give, surely you will see the benefit. It will adjust your perspective and get you one step closer to the heart and mind of Christ. This is close to my heart because this is what I need. I am the person hoping you will approach me and offer to meet for coffee. I am the person hoping my family will make a deep connection with a few other families, that my children will have "bosom buddies" and a safe place to grow and mature. I am that woman seeking an environment that helps my husband and I keep Christ at the center of our family. You may not realize this because I always have a smile. I serve in leadership positions in the church. My faith has long been mine, but I am HUNGRY for COMMUNITY. I am reaching out for LIFE TOGETHER Christianity.

This has lately been impressed on me by the Spirit: that what I seek I must be willing to offer. I have had to be very careful not to make my family the end-all be-all of my life. Sometimes when it is just so HARD to reach out and be rejected again, or go to bible study or church and be up front only to have no one to talk to during the week, (oh yes there are always a few of you, and Thank you! It's not like I'm totally alone, but many of you know exactly what I mean) I want to just hole up in my home, my schedule, my comfortable life. Aren't there enough stresses just in that? Certainly. Jesus, however asks for my life first; before I give it to my family, I must give it to HIM. That means I press on towards a goal of REACHING OUT, being HIS hands and feet, doing HIS work, sharing HIS story. I may still be LONELY for a season if only to learn that HE is enough. I may feel broken if only to learn I can't FIX it all myself. I may feel scared by the thought of RADICAL love or INTENTIONAL sacrifice but it's there I learn that HE equips me for every work. This is the miracle of Christ in me, of Christ in the church. Let's be more like Christ. Let's serve. Let's love. Let's support. Start BREAKING BREAD with strangers. If you are where I am, you have unmet needs. Don't we all? So give it a try, pray for how you might reach just a FEW people in your church body. How might you offer the very things you seek?

No comments: