Sunday, February 9, 2014

Job and the question of Origin

After studying the book of Job I was interested in one of the sources my teacher quoted. It was a book by Hugh Ross called Hidden Treasures in the Book of Job - how the oldest book in the Bible answers today's scientific questions.  I read it through and didn't find it completely distasteful, this coming from a girl raised in a conservative church where there was no arguing the LITERAL interpretation of Genesis 1 and 2. Which I am not saying is a bad thing, just laying the foundation of my spiritual core. I had been warned at study it was an "old earth" take on creation. I found it super interesting to look at Job as a commentary on God's creation; which animals and why, things about the earth and stars, how we look at the six days in Genesis, what about the Dinosaurs, and why is there suffering were all topics touched on in the book.
Here's the deal, I am VERY mindful of anything that might supplant the Word of God. The bible says specifically to be careful not to add to it or change it for your own purposes. (Deuteronomy 4:2 in the days of the Law, and Proverbs 30:5-6) Also, that God seeks wisdom and righteousness before capitulation to philosophy and tradition. (Colossians 2:8) The context of Colossians to be clear speaks to the deity of Christ and that we must not alter the gospel of his divinity/humanity that enabled a perfect payment for sin. Hasn't science though, created that same atmosphere as the philosophers and traditions of the new testament days? You are thought the fool to buy into a literal translation of the Word of God, but the Word is clear that it is absolutely trustworthy. This means from it's inspiration and through it's development as the bible we know today. However, just to play the "what if" game. . bottom line is I don't think either creationist groups have all the answers and the evolutionists could be just as misguided. The evolutionists as a majority say knowledge is power and freedom from religious origins. But the Bible is clear that knowledge of God alone leads to wisdom and that is what God is concerned about. Discovery is wonderful, God carefully crafted our bodies to desire knowledge and has allowed us to make leaps and bounds of understanding in all areas of life in an incredibly short amount of time. Isn't it strange though, that all that "knowledge" has led many people away from God? Why would God allow that? Is that the work of the "prince of the air"? Science has become God to many and is seen as the only reasonable route of thought for where we come from and how we got here. Faith has been lost to the mystery of "what if" and "who knows", and people are basking in their ability to be the deciders. Here is what I like about looking at Old Earth possibilities. God timed everything as He wanted. Job helps us fit that creation into different phases of the millions of years that the bible calls days in Genesis. (if we are looking from an old earth viewpoint) God intervened at a few distinct times to create the right environment for mankind. God still gives us freewill, we still fell from sinlessness, we still need Jesus to redeem us the only way to God. Here is what I don't want to believe: anything that changes the Nature of God from what His Word reveals about Him, and anything that takes away from the Gospel of Christ. I am not entirely sure an old earth viewpoint violates these things (which face it are my two criteria from my own opinions on what is important to me for my faith). It reconciles many (though trust me not all) of the issues that science and the bible seem to stand on opposite sides of. It's interesting that while I was getting my thoughts out I was also able to watch the origins debate between Ken Ham and Bill Ny. One of the problems Ham brought up was the idea that God allowed animals and pre-humans to suffer and die long before humanity as we know it came on the scene. I don't have so much of a problem with this. Job helps me understand that God has a purpose for all pain and suffering even if we cannot see it and the suffering of animals that did not have a soulish state for possible millenia does not lead to God being unloving, just bigger than our understanding. (as Job was unaware of the heavenly question of his faith at stake and suffered huge things for seemingly no reason) Ham had no qualms about science backing up his creationist viewpoint. The argument breaks down ultimately to a world view. Which comes first, the evidence or the world view that supports it? That is the question that I am betting is never answered until the end of time as we know it. Personally, I still shy away from anything that makes a literal view of the bible impossible. Proverbs 8 speaks to me about creation, it is about wisdom and provides support for the fact that nothing on this earth happens without God's direction. I think I might always have an inner argument about the how but never about the "why", which was known from before the foundations of the earth. John 3:16. When I post personal thoughts that are so completely without a good understanding of so many things but more a gut reaction I do not usually share them on my facebook wall. If you follow my posts or notice personal ones you haven't read in my archives when I make more" comment friendly" posts you will see this. I do not want to start a firestorm of public comment as this is a touchy subject for believers and non-believers alike. Think of it as a glimpse into my personal journal. If you just can't stand it I welcome conversations in private messaging. Thanks!

The Blessings of Wisdom

Does not wisdom call?
Does not understanding raise her voice?
On the heights beside the way,
at the crossroads she takes her stand;
beside the gates in front of the town,
at the entrance of the portals she cries aloud:
“To you, O men, I call,
and my cry is to the children of man.
O simple ones, learn prudence;
O fools, learn sense.
Hear, for I will speak noble things,
and from my lips will come what is right,
for my mouth will utter truth;
wickedness is an abomination to my lips.
All the words of my mouth are righteous;
there is nothing twisted or crooked in them.
They are all straight to him who understands,
and right to those who find knowledge.
10 Take my instruction instead of silver,
and knowledge rather than choice gold,
11 for wisdom is better than jewels,
and all that you may desire cannot compare with her.
 
12 “I, wisdom, dwell with prudence,
and I find knowledge and discretion.
13 The fear of the LORD is hatred of evil.
Pride and arrogance and the way of evil
and perverted speech I hate.
14 I have counsel and sound wisdom;
I have insight; I have strength.
15 By me kings reign,
and rulers decree what is just;
16 by me princes rule,
and nobles, all who govern justly.
17 I love those who love me,
and those who seek me diligently find me.
18 Riches and honor are with me,
enduring wealth and righteousness.
19 My fruit is better than gold, even fine gold,
and my yield than choice silver.
20 I walk in the way of righteousness,
in the paths of justice,
21 granting an inheritance to those who love me,
and filling their treasuries.
 
22 “The LORD possessed me at the beginning of his work,
the first of his acts of old.
23 Ages ago I was set up,
at the first, before the beginning of the earth.
24 When there were no depths I was brought forth,
when there were no springs abounding with water.
25 Before the mountains had been shaped,
before the hills, I was brought forth,
26 before he had made the earth with its fields,
or the first of the dust of the world.
27 When he established the heavens, I was there;
when he drew a circle on the face of the deep,
28 when he made firm the skies above,
when he established the fountains of the deep,
29 when he assigned to the sea its limit,
so that the waters might not transgress his command,
when he marked out the foundations of the earth,
30 then I was beside him, like a master workman,
and I was daily his delight,
rejoicing before him always,
31 rejoicing in his inhabited world
and delighting in the children of man.
 
32 “And now, O sons, listen to me:
blessed are those who keep my ways.
33 Hear instruction and be wise,
and do not neglect it.
34 Blessed is the one who listens to me,
watching daily at my gates,
waiting beside my doors.
35 For whoever finds me finds life
and obtains favor from the LORD,
36 but he who fails to find me injures himself;
all who hate me love death.”
 

No comments: