Saturday, August 10, 2013

Faith in Action + Believing in Yourself pt. 2

I have been finishing up Boundaries with Kids by Cloud and Townsend. I had begun this books sometime last year when I lost it on a road trip. It is similar to Love and Logic and right on with my parenting goal and style. It is very enlightening on the nature of kids as well and gives me insight into their little brains. As I was sharing in the last post, I feel like sometimes we don't do what God has called us to not so much because we doubt HIM but ourselves. I would like to add another dimension to this. The "active" personality vs. the "passive" one. To be active is to take initiative, to make the first move. Active people don't attempt to do everything on their own. Activity means doing all you can do, then aggressively seeking that which isn't in you, to complete you. The bible teaches this is a collaboration between us and God. We have our tasks, He has his: "Work out your salvation. . . .for it is God who works in you"(Phillipians 2:12-13). *all bold print quoted from book. Peter walking on the water is a pretty big thing and let's be real he had already "left everything"to follow Jesus so his example is pretty daunting. Despite his brief denial of Jesus I would say Peter was an "active" personality. We are to carry our cross daily (Luke 9:23). We are to be diligent (Proverbs 12:24). We are to seek his kingdom and righteousness (Matthew 6:33). We are to knock on God's door as did the widow who needed assistance (Luke 18:1-5). We are to ask for what we need (James 4:2). As God himself is an active, problem-solving, initiative-taker, so we, made in his image, are to be.  I would definitely say if we are talking about taking the steps God asks us to take as individuals in Christ (and also the greater church body) then I came to a realization about myself. I am a passive person. Passive kids are unable to make use of the trying-failing-learning process that teaches them boundaries. They never really step up to the plate; they don't fail, but they don't grow, either. Outside of the parenting this was meant for, we can use these same definitions to examine ourselves. I see this tendency to "take the easy road" too often in myself. God isn't pleased with the person who shrinks back. Pastor Dave encouraged us to take ONLY-GOd-CAN-Do-IT steps. This of course acknowledges that he wasn't trying to say that we can do what God calls us to on our own. I am going to try hard to think more like an "active" personality and develop those traits that honor God and help me become more like Jesus. God will expand my responsibilities (those ONLY-GOD steps) when I am faithful in the daily, just like a parent gives the child who has earned it greater freedoms and responsibilities. I need to do my part which includes the confidence to try. Failure or success are irrelevant; it's the doing that counts. Maturing into the image of God means that we are to work on all the important areas of growth and life, not just the ones in which we are gifted. I hope this clarifies a little where I was going with the self-confidence thing. It's actually a daily obedience thing and a knowing from experience. Don't be discouraged if you are a new believer that needs to get some of this under your belt. Also don't be discouraged if have been a follower of Christ for years and God is opening your heart to greater understanding. It's all about relationship with Him. The depth of that relationship determines the outcome of trust and "activity". Peter was the rock Christ built the church on. Remember that!

No comments: