Saturday, December 17, 2011

Foodies we are NOT

Two nights ago Jeremy called me saying he was running late from work and what were our plans? (which is his nice way of asking what's to eat). I told him I was making broccoli beef. I try to cook meals at home as it is much cheaper than eating out but here are the things working against me. 1. Jeremy doesn't like leftovers so if I cook something big I either have to freeze it or eat it myself for four days. 2. Trinity is good about trying things but Blake has his own special diet that does not include eating much that I make. This did not deter me this week however from planning about four nights in a row of meals and then planning to eat whatever was leftover the next few with one night eating out. The broccoli beef was night three of my planned meals. The previous two nights we had sausage and biscuits followed by stew and so, back to the phone conversation. Jeremy comments to me "well don't kill yourself cooking for me". Say what!? I thought that was part of the SAHM job description. I mean, is my cooking that bad? (oh wait, I was asking him this out loud when I thought I was only thinking it). "well you know", he replies, "it's just that we have been eating a lot of heavy stuff." Really? stew? fluffy white rice and broccoli? "So you're telling me", I say, "that if it's not floating in milk it's heavy?" (as most of you know, Jeremy loves his cold cereal and would happily eat it nightly I think as he did in his bachelor years). I'll give him the biscuits and gravy but the rest can hardly be defined as heavy. Here I am putting effort to cook nightly when in truth the heart of the problem is his large lunches out each day that often consist of exactly what I WOULD define as heavy foods. I suppose when I think about it I wouldn't want to eat a giant hamburger and come home to egg rolls and wantons either. So the answer? BETTER LUNCHES. so there. (slight pout).

2 comments:

Lynne' said...

oh.. sad. It's so much more fun making food for other people too. My problem here is that Youssef gets home too late for the girls. They need to eat between 5 and 6 and he generally doesn't get home till at least 6:30. By then they are more cranky and I wonder why I should bother having a meal at home. I've noticed with my kids (about picky eaters) that if I don't have any of the food that they would normally "only eat" they will eventually eat what is before them. Granted, it takes some getting used to for them. Our taste buds have to learn flavors so trying things more than once is pretty important. There are a few things that Renna is picky about (she was my hard one with food) but at least we've come a long way from her screaming all through the meal when I'm just asking her to take one bite of something to her actually taking a bite. Now the faces are a problem and she doesn't get to say "yuck".. it's SUCH a long process! She likes the idea of teaching her taste buds things though and at least for her it helps for her to know how I feel when she won't try what I've worked so hard to make. Talking about what we are thankful for has helped her too. Maybe none of that will help you with Blake, but just remember that it WILL get better if you keep at it. :}

jeremy and lenore diviney said...

thanks lynne. blake is getting a little better about taking bites but has yet to like anything. I think he is just being stubborn. I think he liked the eggs and the grapes he tried last week. and also refried beans. just going to keep making him try it.