Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Keeping the Future In Mind

On Sunday a new hospital opened nearby. I thought it would be fun to check out their grand opening. The kids were already pretty worn out from the day but they were excited to try a "skittle-ectomy" using some of the hospital tools. Funnily enough, just seeing them there with surgery gear on put such a smile on my face. 
                 

                 

So often as a mom I am caught in the day to day. I can't see past the thirty minutes I just spent repeatedly taking my toddler to his bed for quiet time or the 10th time I asked my olders to start their homework and found them doing something totally different. Even just last night I had read a very long story for bedtime and was kissing the boys goodnight when Blake grabbed the hood on my shirt and demanded his nighttime routine. I was tired and had put extra effort into the story, so at that point I just wanted to go downstairs. I was angered by his demanding fit. (he wanted rock, paper, scissors but not just any version; he wanted HIS version which is double fisted "pirate, ninja, cowboy") I didn't wan't to "give in" but there was a little voice inside me simultaneously shaming me with "what sort of mom won't finish bedtime with her son?" It was like a war in my head. People say take parenting one day at a time but sometimes just that one day is completely overwhelming and what really helps is releasing the stress of that moment and finding an opportunity to catch a glimpse of their possible future. 

                                                                                              Isaac is working for hard on getting that skittle!

     
don't trust the surgeon on the right. . . .

                     

                                   

That's what Sunday's hospital tour afforded me. They were using a little vacuum to suck candies off of baby dolls and I was bursting with pride. lol. I was reminded to help them dream big (sure you can be a surgeon), to not get lost in the minutia (rock,paper,scissors), but to teach them the broader aspects of faith (honor God!), character (honor your mother!), independence (do not grab your mother), and determination (walk away from the mother!), so that when the future unfolds they move boldly into it. Of course those broader things rely on the moment to moment parenting (vicious cycle). . . parents please nod your head that you get what I'm trying to say here!
It was like coming outside of the dark house into the bright sunlight. There is so much more to my children than the challenges they throw at me each day. Frankly, I forget that. 

1 comment:

Diana O- said...

Your reflections are so accurate! It can be so hard to step outside of ourselves as moms/dads.