Wednesday, December 11, 2013

New York: city sidewalks

So when Jeremy's partners offered to fly me out for the first time in six years for Jeremy's annual New York facetime with them we didn't say no. The fact that is was delayed from it's usual October to December made it all the better as I realized I would get to see the big apple in all it's Christmas splendor. What I wouldn't give for a pedometer to measure how far I walked these past few days. I have these odd sore muscles on the back of my knees. The concrete jungle was still really fun though. On Sunday it was snowing when we got off the plane and it looked so romantic I wanted to squeal. Truly picture perfect. However, the harsh reality of the snow slapping me in the face as we exited the subway and had to walk to our hotel made me very grateful that I had packed hat and gloves. We grabbed a bite at the diner in the hotel and tromped up to Times Square. I took some pictures at the Disney store for Trinity. The next day Jeremy would be in meetings all day so I actually got to snuggle in bed a little longer on my own. BLISS. Then I went to Macy's and killed the rest of the morning. Walked up to Bryant park where they have a Christmas bazaar set up around the perimeter and an ice skating rink in the middle. I perused an actual ALIVE and OLIVIA store. They are really great designers but of  course they were very much out of my price-range. =) Then back down to the hotel to charge my dying phone and back out to Macy's because after all I had only hit like two of the seven stories. Finally I met up with Jer and we walked back up almost to Times Square to grab a bite at Chevy's before attending Newsies,which was playing at the Nederlander Theatre. It was a really enjoyable show with not a little geeking out after as the stars came out to sign autographs afterwards. We had tickets four rows back and center. It doesn't get much better than that. The next day I spent a few more hours meandering on my own before Jeremy was able to join me. We ate at a highly rated (thank you Yelp) pie place and headed up to the Central Park area and the nicer shops on Lexington. Bloomingdales had nice windows. 5th avenue had some great decorations, including a giant strand of Christmas lights that lay on the ground. I wanted to climb around on them but I didn't actually walk down that far. We veered off to check out the tree at Rockefeller Center. The skating rink there is actually really small, I much preferred the size of the rink at Central Park. If it had been lighter longer I would have made Jeremy do the carriage thing but it was already getting dark so we bypassed because it was too cold. Lo and behold on the corner of Rockefeller Plaza was a giant Anthropologie. Their windows were AMAZING. I tried on a $300 dress that made me feel AMAZING. That was fun! I actually bought only a handful of things and didn't come anywhere near the allotted budget my "live vicarously through you" sister had given me. lol. Last but not least we enjoyed dinner with Jeremy's partners and their wives. Then up at the crack of dawn to head back home. It was a fabulous getaway.





 I took the Disney store pics for the kids.
 the New York "uniform"
a bird cage with tablets that digitally displayed the aviary wonders
 the $198 ALMOST splurge

 the Macy's displays were the most technical
 tree and ice skating at Bryant Park
 Betsey Johnson
 one romper mass clearance $5. will she actually wear it? tbd.
 the one forbidden pic I took of the stage. they had theses three moving scaffoldings that looked like city stairs. really great mobile set design.
 "Davey" 
 um, yes that's me and JACK KELLY. 



 Dylan's Candy Bar






 these windows were more sparkly and detailed than they show









I "heart" Anhropolgies windows!






Catch ya later, NYC!

No comments: