Saturday, December 1, 2012

Pumpkin Chunkin

Hello all, we have been busy! The school year sails on, we had parent/teacher conferences and I was very excited by the kids' progress. Trinity had a rough year academically and socially last year with the baby and moving. Things have really smoothed out for her this year and I am so thankful that the rough patch seems to be over. Blake's teacher says he is a "smartie-pants" and she wasn't referring to his attitude so it's all good. We spent an amazing few days with my sister and her family as they joined us for Thanksgiving. We were also joined by Jeremy's brother Zach. It was so funny because we played pictionary and the brothers were horrible! She posted pictures on her facebook page and I took zilch. Pathetic I know. I cooked my first turkey start to finish and it turned out perfectly, yay me! Nat and I went and got reflexology messages (she had never been before). Ahhh..great way to end a busy weekend. The holiday season carries on however and Jeremy and I remembered to record one of our Thanksgiving weekend funnies, the annual Punkin' Chunkin' contest! Seven categories of machines (man-powered, trebuchet, air cannon, catapults, torsion, centripetal, and tension) are built every year by teams from all over the nation and brought to Delaware to compete for these silly wooden carved trophies to be the farthest "Pumpkin Chunker" for the year in their division. These people are hard core about this. This was also the first year they showed the children's division. Trinity was immediately demanding that we make our own. I was trying to shut her down because I sure as heck wasn't going to help her with the project but Jeremy was all up in arms that I would "dare to block her creativity and interest in science". . .so off they went. One shoe box, bag of rubber bands, spatula, and measuring cup later they had a mini tension machine launching trin's squishy piggy ball. So without further eloquence I give you. . .Pumkpin Chunkin 2012 Diviney Style. Now, we plan to expand on this first simple project next year. We may even have a Thanksgiving contest that may or may not include mini machines of our own devising that will shoot leftover Halloween Brachs brand pumpkins. Yum! the battle is on. . . .








1 comment:

Sarah Benedict said...

Loved that project! She was so proud!!!